Followers

About Me

My photo
I love animals and my family I also play sofball every chance I get. I have 2 dogs, 4 cats,3 turtles and 1 rescue dog. I work with a rescue group that takes in all unwanted animals and we keep them till we find them new homes. I have 2 nieces and a nephew that I would do anything for. Last but certainly not least my girlfriend she is great and puts up with alot (lol) which makes her the greatest person in the world.

Friday, April 3, 2009

Grooming

Grooming is a very important part of owning an animal I take my 2 dogs to the groomers once a month, mostly cause they get their nails shorter than I do and also they like it my groomer locks the door and lets play all day an then about an hour before I pick them up she does her thing, anyways in between I will bathe them if needed mostly the lab sinces he has allergies and some hairless spots I bathe him 2 times a week in all natural shampoo that is specified for allergies and hot spots, but if they dont have allergies and such then I recommend using oatmeal shampoos that dont have detergents, it helps their skin and coats and if your using frontline or some other product like that then haveing no detergents keeps it lasting longer. Brushing your pet is very important if its a long hair then brushing should be done every other day or as needed using a brush with long bristles to get down deep. and for a short hair that sheds alot if you have aproblem with all the shedding everyday is the best to keep that under control if its not that big of an issue then when ever you feel like doing it and I would seggest using a furminator or something like that they have cheaper versions and my lab loves it and it works great. Last and probably the most important is the nails they need to be as short as possible without making them bleed of course, if they are really long right now then once a week cut them and the quick will shorten also then they can be shorter, useing one of the many drimel type tools is the best and you can get the nails much shorter with out hurting them and they wont fight as much ( makes everyone involved happier), when the nails are long its like they are walking on high heels all the time and that sux, or if they get way to long they will start to curl under and they can grow back into the pads of the paw.

No comments:

Post a Comment